Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Visit to the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art


Giacometti at Work (after photo) - graphite on paper


Olivia and Derek at the Table - graphite on paper

Yesterday I visited the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art for the first time. Hard to believe I've waited so long---the place is right next door to where I work. They have a great collection of art featuring some of the prominent figures of Modernism: Giacometti, Braque, Picasso, de Stael, Johns, Calder---so many others.

I was really pleased to see the Giacometti pieces: a few small sculptures, paintings, and photogravures of drawings. I admire the gestural approach and the presence of these small works---rife with the fingerprints of the artist. Giacometti is one of my favorite artists, and I've done many sketches (from photos) of him working. I also use his gestural approach in my own work when I want to capture a fleeting image. This approach is particularly valuable when drawing from life. The images above are a few examples from one of my sketchbooks from last year.

Before I left I dropped by the museum store and picked up a copy of John Golding's Path to the Absolute---a survey of some of the great works of 20th century modern art. I love reading about these artists and seeing the kind of ideas and images they create---it is all quite inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment